Tuesday 20 May 2008

Personal information

I was called at home last night by someone who said they were from Sky (probably selling an upgrade, but it didn't get that far). Usual intro - Him: "Hello I'm blah from Sky, can I just confirm who I am talking to? Can you tell me your date of birth?" Me: "You called me, can you just confirm who you are?" Predictable tussle followed, and the conversation concluded when the caller was unable to tell me the name of his Chief Executive, Chairman or even where BSkyB's head office is. FFS these people are supposed to be ambassadors for the company! This determination of contact centres to "protect my privacy" by verifying my identity through lots of personal questions is a paradox that they just don't seem to understand. Wouldn't it work better if they were in a position to tell me when my d.o.b was rather than the other way around? Then I would know, or at last have some degree of confidence, that they were genuine, and I would be more than happy to discuss whatever they wanted.

Life is too short to deal with unnecessary unsolicited callers, mine and theirs. If anyone wants to call me that's fine, but have something useful to say, and respect my privacy when you intrude on my time.

No comments: